After a year of trying to conceive their first child, Jan and Steve* find themselves searching for answers. After the standard tests and exams, Steve’s semen analysis is showing some problems, namely poor morphology and low sperm count.
It turns out; Steve is suffering from a varicocele, a bundle of enlarged, varicose veins located around the testicle and is likely the cause of his poor semen analysis. Despite the disappointing news for this couple, there is hope with the help of Chinese medicine and proper nutrition.
“Varicoceles account for over 40% of male factor infertility.”
Symptoms of a varicocele may include:
- Dragging-like or aching pain within scrotum
- Feeling of heaviness in the testicle(s)
- Atrophy (shrinking) of the testicle(s)
- Visible or palpable (able to be felt) enlarged vein, likened to feeling a bag of worms
Western treatment options are somewhat limited. In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) and Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) are treatments which can be used to isolate the most functional sperm but can be very expensive and are not guaranteed to work. Often, surgical techniques like embolization are recommended and can yield better numbers within a few months post surgery. Click here for more information on surgical options.
However, if surgery and expensive ART is not an option or maybe you have had the surgery already and are looking for ways to increase your numbers, be sure to review what Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and proper supplement advice has to offer. Studies have shown that semen parameters can be improved with acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine and supplements.
Natural Varicocele Treatments by Drew
- The first thing one should do is establish a proper supplement regime. Antioxidant therapy is a simple and scientifically proven way to improve semen parameters and can enhance sperm health in those with varicoceles. (1-3)
- Second, a tailored traditional Chinese herbal medicine formula has shown to have a very beneficial effect on varicocele treatment and is something that I encourage for faster results. (4-6)
- Last, acupuncture has also shown a positive effect on the treatment of varicocele. (7) This safe and effective therapy is often covered by your extended healthcare benefits.
Interested in boosting the quality of your sperm? Click here to find out how…
If you are a male dealing with a varicocele, or have recently had surgery for a varicocele and want to improve your sperm parameters, contact Drew today and let’s improve your next semen analysis. Click on the Book Now button below and pick a day and time which works for you.
Looking For Male Fertility Supplements?
Find out what Drew suggests to his male clients and pick up your supplements at Drew’s virtual dispensary at a discounted rate. Just click on the virtual dispensary button located in the bottom left of this webpage.
*not their real names
1. May antioxidant therapy improve sperm parameters of men with persistent oligospermia after retrograde embolization for varicocele? Paradiso Galatioto G, Gravina GL, Angelozzi G, Sacchetti A, Innominato PF, Pace G, Ranieri G, Vicentini C. World J Urol. 2008 Feb;26(1):97-102. Epub 2007 Nov 3.
2. Selenium, Copper and Zinc in Seminal Plasma of Men with Varicocele, Relationship with Seminal Parameters.
Camejo MI, Abdala L, Vivas-Acevedo G, Lozano-Hernández R, Angeli-Greaves M, Greaves ED. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2011 Jan 15.
3. Semen quality and oxidative stress scores in fertile and infertile patients with varicocele. Pasqualotto FF, Sundaram A, Sharma RK, Borges E Jr, Pasqualotto EB, Agarwal A. Fertil Steril. 2008 Mar;89(3):602-7. Epub 2007 May 7.
4. The Treatment of 65 Cases of Sterility Due to Varicocele with Yi Shen Tong Luo Fang (Boost the Kidneys & Free the Flow of the Network Vessels Formula) by Sun Zi-xue, Zhe Jiang Zhong Yi Za Zhi Zhejiang Journal of Chinese Medicine #11, 2002.
5. Comparative clinical study on treatment of varicocele caused infertility by tongling granule and surgical operation. Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine. 2001 Jun;21(6):412-5.
6. Effects of guizhi-fuling-wan on male infertility with varicocele. Ishikawa H, Ohashi M, Hayakawa K, Kaneko S, Hata M. American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 1996;24(3-4):327-31.
7. Treatment of male infertility with acupuncture. Shealy CN, Helms J, McDaniels A.. J Neurol Orthop Med Surg. 1990;11:285–286.